Skip to main content
New Mexico Department of Agriculture The letters NMDA with the D internaly shapped as the state of New Mexico. Logo

Search our site:

Nursery Licensing


The New Mexico Plant Protection Act requires all plants businesses to be licensed. These are those that buy, sell, grow, or collect plants to be licensed with NMDA.

To apply for a license, complete the application for a Plant Protection License and submit via mail with appropriate fees to the address on the form. Call (575) 646-3207 if you need further assistance.

Nursery License Categories

Nursery Dealer:  A license is required for each location at which one or more of the activities listed below are conducted.
Fee: $75 per location.

  • Nursery Dealer: Any person who buys and resells nursery stock. Those who handle nursery stock on a consignment basis, when the stock is not grown on their premises.
  • Florist Dealer: Any person who buys and resells floral stock, when the stock is not grown on their premises.
  • Landscaper: Any person who buys and resells plants used in landscaping in connection with design services.
  • Agent: Any person selling or taking orders for nursery or floral stock to be shipped directly to the consumer.

Inspection Certificate: Required if nursery or floral stock is propagated or grown on the premises. All locations where stock is grown must be listed on the license application in order to schedule timely inspections.
Fee: $75 plus $2 per acre of growing area.

Collected Plant Permit: Required to collect plants growing in the wild for commercial sale. Permit numbers must be displayed on both sides of the vehicle used to transport collected plants.
Fee: $75.

Special Dealer License: Available to persons who buy and resell only cacti or vegetable plants. Cacti are those plants which belong to the cactus family, including: cholla, barrel, hedgehog, prickly pear, pincushion, and Christmas cactus. Palm yucca, soaptree yucca and ocotillo are not cacti.
Fee: $25 per location.

Special Vegetable Plant Inspection Certificate: Available to persons who sell only vegetable plants grown on their premises.
Fee: $25.

Farmers Market Inspection Certificate: Available to Farmers Markets and Growers Cooperatives who supply the department with a list of registered persons. These registered persons must be authorized to sell plants at the market or cooperative. The plants must be grown by the registered persons on land owned or leased by them. The plants can only be sold at the registered location. To apply for a license, complete this application for a Farmers Market Inspection Certificate and submit it. Submit via mail with appropriate fees to the address on the form. Applicants that miss the September 30 deadline must fill out a late application for a Farmers Market Inspection Certificate.

Farmers Market Vendor List

Licenses are not transferable between businesses or locations. License holders must notify NMDA in writing for any requested changes.

All licenses, certificates, and permits expire annually on September 30.

Renewals must be postmarked prior to expiration date and must be submitted to NMDA with appropriate fees before September 30. Renewals sent after September 30 are subject to double fees and require a double-fee late renewal form.

See also Plant Inspection, Certification, and Quarantine

For questions, please call 575-646-3207 or email