Skip to main content
New Mexico Department of Agriculture The letters NMDA with the D internaly shapped as the state of New Mexico. Logo

Search our site:

Weighmaster Licensing

The Weighmaster Act (Chapter 57-18-1 through 26, NMSA 1978 Compilation, as amended by Chapter 80, Laws of 1979) requires that anyone who does public weighing and charges for the service or issues a signed weight certificate as a third party must have a weighmaster license. As owner or operator of a large capacity scale, you may be subject to the Weighmaster Act and need to be licensed as a weighmaster. Employees or others who do the weighing, should be licensed as deputy weighmasters.

The annual license fee is one-hundred fifty dollars ($150) for weighmasters and fifty dollars ($50) for each deputy. If the complete application for renewal of registration is not filed prior to the expiration of the current registration, a late registration fee of one-hundred dollars ($100) shall be charged in addition to the annual registration fees.

Each weighmaster must furnish a bond. This can be a corporate surety bond in the amount of one thousand dollars ($1,000), a certificate of deposit in the amount of one thousand dollars ($1,000), or a personal bond with five thousand dollars ($5,000) in liquid assets. 

Section 12 of the Weighmaster Act gives the director of the New Mexico Department of Agriculture authority to prescribe the form of weight certificate used by each weighmaster. You will be required to provide an original intact weight certificate annually to the New Mexico Department of Agriculture.   

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact our office at 575-646-1616.