Skip to main content
New Mexico Department of Agriculture The letters NMDA with the D internaly shapped as the state of New Mexico. Logo

Search our site:

Bulk Hauler/Sampler and Bulk Trailer Permit

Hauler Sampler Permit

Every individual who samples Grade A milk and or transports Grade A milk must have a valid permit.

Once an individual is hired by a milk transport company he or she shall attend a training seminar. Training teaches proper milk sampling and transfer it from a farm bulk tank to a transport tank trailer. This seminar includes verbal instruction, video demonstrations, question and answer session. There’s also a written exam that the individual must pass with a 70% or better.  An inspection in the field will also occur. Then a permit card will be issued that allows the individual to sample and transport milk.

An individual only transporting milk and not sampling it, shall receive Contracted Over the Road Milk Hauler Permit.  To obtain this permit an individual must read and understand how to handle Official Grade A samples. This must be in a manner that the samples or the load of milk will not become compromised.

Both permits are good for two years from the date issued.  It is the responsibility of the permit holder to initiate the reissue procedure.

Bulk Tank Trailer Permit

Every transport trailer that hauls Grade A Milk must have a valid permit.

Bulk tank transport trailers must be inspected biennially. A permit must be issued to insure that the trailer is safe to transport Grade A Milk.  Milk transport companies will notify their inspector of new trailers or ones that are about to expire.  The inspector will evaluate the overall condition of the trailer and issue a permit. They will then place a sticker on the back of the trailer to easily identify it’s inspection status.

Dustin Cox, Division Director